Sunday, January 30, 2011

Airports and Shoes

For the last week I was on the road for business. This meant both time in a lot of meetings and hotels, as well as a lot of time in airports. I'll save my thoughts about meeting shoes for another post...

What is it about flying that makes people feel they need to wear their ugliest shoes? I wish I'd thought to take some pics with my cell phone cuz I saw some of the saddest looking excuses for footwear ever!

Look, I get it - going through security you want easy-on and easy-off shoes. But does that have to mean old and ripped? I was amazed at how many women were dressed nicely and had stylish or professional outfits, only to be wearing torn trashy loafers that should have been tossed years ago.

And yes, aside from TSA hassles, there is always the frustration of your feet swelling when you fly. No doubt that when your feet rival the size of 747 they are flying in, it's not good! But that's no excuse for a grown woman putting slippers on her feet with little bunnies on them when she is in an airport! Have some self-respect! Nothing wrong with bunny slippers - but in please...not in public.

One of the latest fashion crazes are the rollable flats like Slim Goodies or any other brand. Wouldn't we be so much better off grabbing something like these to fly in and then change shoes at baggage claim? It's easier to look put together in a simple shoe than you might think. Just plan them as part of the outfit. Whatever brand you choose, these rollable flats come in many colors - so coordinate! You'll be comfortable and chic to say the least and you WON'T be the talk of the airport - which is a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree! My other pet peeve is running shoes or any kind of sneakers with nice clothes - please, save them for jogging, tennis, or washing the car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you don't love a suit and skechers? lol! Seriously - just bring a cute pair of ballet flats!

    ReplyDelete