Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cold Feet

Why didn't I choose to have cold feet?  Last night I went out dancing.  I was all dressed up in a fabulous frock, my hair freshly cut, and my make-up done, and while traveling to my destination, on my feet I wore...UGGS!  I didn't want to have cold feet!  Not only is it uncomfortable, but having cold feet can be such a negative connotation.

Generally we see "cold feet" as an expression that says you are timid about something, or in some cases even running away from it. You might just not be sure about a decision, but why people relate this to the temperature of your feet is beyond me.  I can reconsider decisions in heels just as easily as in boots, or flats. In fact, I'd like to reconsider the expression "cold feet".

No one really knows where the expression came from but there are lots of people who have ideas about the subject.  Some people think its from the 7th century, when "to have cold feet" meant "to have no money," and therefore it most likely meant someone was so poor that they did not have shoes and therefore had cold feet.  OMG - no shoes!! Can you imagine??

There are other people who suggest that "cold feet" originates from the Italian 'piedi freddi'.  And in Italy to have cold feet is also more about finances; it means to be penniless and financially stuck. Imagine being in Italy with all those fabulous designers and not having a dime to spend on shoes!

There are even those who believe that "cold feet" as an expression of cowardice or running away originates from soldiers in the early 1900s who used their frostbitten feet as a way to keep them from having to go into battle.  Frostbitten toes - yuck!  I'd be running too - my Uggs are sounding better and better!

I don't know where the expression really came from, but I know that I'm not timid, and I'm not penniless or goodness forbid, shoeless, ( not yet anyway) and, I'm definitely not running away from anything!  I'm keeping my feet warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment